Friday, July 4, 2014

Welcome

Oh no - Not another attempt to stave off a Mid-Life crisis ...

Afraid so. 

This is a blog that will chronicle the struggles and victories (if any) in training my 6'5'' frame going the full 140.6 miles on May 16, 2015 in the official Texas Ironman in the Woodlands, Texas. 

My credentials are a finisher Medal in the 2013 full Marathon of Houston in 4:45.  No small feat for sure, and definitely one of my largest physical accomplishments.  But after the (rigorous) training in 2012 i find myself back on the familiar spot in my living room - the couch - when I open the Houston chronicle on May 18 and look in envy at the front-page article detailing the heroics of triathletes in the 2014 edition of the Texas Ironman. 

What follows is a cunning mix of promises, bribery and over-selling towards my better half to gain support for spending $650 on an entry (no refunds)  to a race I currently am in no shape or form capable of completing on the very day of our wedding anniversary. 

As the name of this blog implies, I succeed in my ploy and on May 18, the ticket is purchased.  Point of no return passed.  Better get in shape now. 

The main reason I started this blog is to function as a proof for other enthusiasts that you can go from couch to ironman in 12 months. Because every 'expert' on the subject, from internet to established book writers to your local shoe salesman at Luke's Locker is ready to unload a healthy dose of skepticism on your plans as you try to make them part of your conviction. 

So here I go. Feel free to tag along. 

RJ. Future Ironman. 


No comments:

Post a Comment